Mr. Voight, if you didn't know has assigned us another ... assignment on global warming. Go here for details. Now, since no one has posted on this topic, I'll have to start it off.
Global warming is a very controversial topic that will not be resolved anytime soon. As Mr. Voight said, several decades ago, people thought there was global cooling but it wasn't true. This would mean that global warming could be untrue as well but is it? CO2 levels are higher then ever and almost all scientific reports state that that is increasing temperatures. If this is true then global warming is a serious threat to the environment. An argument against this is a increase in CO2 levels is too minor to be considered a major reason for increasing temperatures. We even have people saying that global warming is unstoppable and if it is going to happen, it will.
What do i think of global warming? I believe that at this moment, temperatures are warming and we should do something about it. Even if global warming turns out to be a farce, by the time temperatures got in control, there could be 20 more level 5 hurricanes hitting the coasts of many continents. For example, let us say that the word gets warmer for the next 30 years and then controls itself as some say it will. That could be a 2 degree Fahrenheit rise and and it could greatly increase the amount of hurricanes and floods in this world. That could result in the massacre of hundreds of thousands of people. If the world were to come together to seriously invest in slowing down global warming in any way, it would be worth it. If, for example, the U.N. agreed on a plan to cut carbon emissions by 30%, that could cause the temperature in 2030 to rise by 1 degrees instead of 2. In terms of hurricanes, floods, polar ice melting, that is a huge difference.
What would i say to those who believe global warming is unstoppable? I would say that even if is unstoppable, we are effecting it. If we were to cut down on carbon. The temperature could only increase by 2 degrees instead of 4 ( assuming that the world continues warming)
To those that believe global warming is definitely happening, well then, start cutting emissions.
In any situation, it is better to be safe then sorry. Nature is unpredictable and no matter what happens in the future, nothing bad would happen because we began cutting emissions, using alternative fuels, and saving energy.
I also feel that it is really stupid that we have 5% of the worlds population and we emit 25% of the carbon. If we want other countries to cut emissions ( like India or China), we should cut our own emissions first.
Go ahead and comment on your views on global warming
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
10 comments:
Subbu I agree will what you are saying and that I believe that your blog is very well written and more in depth than mine a scientific aspect. I like that you are taking your sides against what the other opposing thoughts on global warming. And I can totally understand about the Hurricanes and Flooding I was wondering where you got your link or heard that info from.
I like the fact that you included Global Warming's effect on storms, but I would like to see where you found your information. Also, you don't have alot about the economic/social problems that surround global warming. I do like how you state what you believe and what you would do about it.
I don't want to be a callous jerk but what is the big deal about bigger hurricanes? Now, that was a bit ignorant, I recognize that many people's can be lost and their livelihood but I think you struck a cord here with me. When people say "bad hurricanes" now I immediately think of Katrina and New Orleans, I wish I didn't always make that connection becuase doing so really bugs me when other people do it. To my point, I am totally befuddled at how people are so worried about the New Orleans and its people. I mean come on, you got slammed once, I understand how devastating that is, but why go back and risk it all over again? It is not like people are surprised when a hurricane comes.
I got a bit sidetracked there, sorry.
I had to do an article last year for mr. sackett's class and it was about how global warming could affect hurricanes and cause them to get stronger. It was from a 100top science stories of the year addition of Discovery and i had to present in class and everything so that's probably where subbu got his info. i also think it's stupid the way people will move to a coastal area that is known to have been hit by hurricanes and will later get hit themselves and think that it was totally unexpected and unavoidable. It's just bad planning on their part. I mean, if you don't like snow you don't move to minnesota. So if you don't like hurricanes don't move to the coast.
I like that you view this scientifically without trying to take sides. You criticize both sides of the arguement and in doing so I feel you get information across without being baist
well, i need to get caught up in answering these questions.
I will post an add-on regarding the sources of my information.
Yunus is correct on hurricanes. That is one of the places where i found my info.
Marta, your question, I will answer on the add-on.
BVoight, your a jerk. But, you have a point. One hurricane isn't too bad. However, assuming global warming is real, it would mean major hurricanes occurring twice or thrice as much as it does today. Another side of effect of global warming would be the melting ice caps. This would cause sea level to rise which would only make hurricanes more destructive. It wouldn't, of course effect any of us in Minnesota but it could a major disaster for other locations in the world
For example, the city of Bombay, India is located very near to the coast of the Indian Ocean. A Category 5 hurricane/flood would completely destroy the city. It would probably be be evacuated before the hurricane hit as you said. But that would still cause billions, maybe trillions or dollars of damage. It would also kill many because there will always be some people that stay behind and risk the hurricane/flood. There are many major coastal cities around the world that are in danger to this. Some examples would the cities along the border of California, Washington, Florida and more.
Eventually, people will become smart enough not to stay in locations that are getting many hurricanes and storms. (This is assuming that global warming has causes floods and hurricanes to become much more frequent.) Cutting off 10- 20 miles off the U.S.A. borders isn't that big of a deal. In countries below sea level, you would need to cut off much more land. Maybe 20-30 miles. In small and densely populated countries, this could be an issue. Example, Singapore. It is right on the coast of the Indian Ocean and is the most densely populated country in the world. A good flood in its direction would ruin the city and kill thousands. It would be very difficult to evacuate a dense city/country quickly. It would be a huge disaster.
The point I'm trying to make is that if the Earth would continue to warm for a few more decades, the storms/hurricanes/floods produced would cause massive damage.
The answer became a bit lengthy, i apologize, and thanks Joe
Your blog is extemely in depth and your ideas are backed up by good info. Even though I don't think that global warming is a problem if it is happenening at all. I think you made a good point that even if it isn't happening, it still isn't a bad idea to cut down on emissions. Another good point was when you talked about other countries and their emissions. If global warming truly is a problem, we shouldn't just expect other countries like China and India to cut their emissions before we cut ours. I thought that was a good point. thanks for that bit of knowledge.
I totally agree with what Mr. VOight said about new orleans and hurricane Katrina. If people are worried about being hit by another big hurricane, then they just shouldn't live there. Its that simple. They already lost everything once. Why would they just go back and risk it all again. I just thought that was completely irrational. That all I have to say.
you are right, why should they come back? First of all, there are idiots out there and I don't mind much if they die. However, it is the first hurricane in the area that would hurt the most and thats what I'm trying to get at with my comment on what BVoight said.
Post a Comment