
The source of this article and picture is this link
My first thought on this article was that is was interesting. There were some things I already knew about the topics in the article. I read about quarks, gluons, and bosons briefly during the Nuclear Energy Project. Basically, quarks and leptons make up protons and neutrons. Gluons simply glue quarks together. I had also heard of particle accelerators but I didn't know much about them. Its just a bunch of magnets with enormous electrical power that smash particles together or break them apart. So it made some sense to me.
This whole thing about finding the god particle sounds a little absurd. There probably are particles smaller than quarks or subatomic particles that decay in .00000000001 seconds but we just don't have the power to find them. It was mentioned in the article that there have been attempts to find more about the subatomic particles in U.S.A. but nothing has been found recently. The new device probably has more juice but I still doubt they'd find something significant. I would still support it however. There is a small chance something would be found but if there is, it'd be huge. The article had numerous examples on how sub-atomic discoveries led to amenities we rely on today. Some examples are laptops and iPods. I don't really care if were spending billions of dollars on it. The governments of the world waste billions of dollars all the time (and I'm not talking about the war in Iraq). If you want proof, look up "government waste" on Google. For an example of such a site, click this message.
I think you, Mr. V could've given us a basic overview on quarks and gluons. You never know if it'll come in useful. Quarks & gluons do make up everything in the universe, as far as we know.
If a big discovery is made, it could lead to amazing new inventions/better understanding of the universe and how it began. If it doesn't work, we just wasted a couple billion dollars. Have to wait and see...
7 comments:
Yah Subbu it would be amazing becuase it would totally disprove what most religions would have said for thousands of years, that would be insane in the religious world. Same as the scientific world, because that would prove the big band theory and also give scientists something that they can stuff as a new form of matter or a very large isotope of an atom in the periodic table. The possibilites for discussion "if" this god particle is real is probably endless.
Is your name rysk?
I'm sure creating something like this won't be a total waste of money. The government does waste plenty of money on things less important, so this should be funded in my opinion. Something huge could be learned. Even if something isn't we will probably find some things that will help us. Good post and I totally agree.
you have to keep in mind that when Fermilab was first built, they were finding new subatomic particles on a semi-weekly basis.
Now it's true that we have pretty much exhausted the power that we have as a country to find these, but does it really matter WHO finds them? isn't it more important THAT someone finds them?
I like what you said about disproving the thought to be set in stone reasons created by the world's religions. Way to be controversal!
Check out david's for a completely different view
I thought it would have been useful if Mr Voight had taught us about the quarks and gluons stuff too. I also think that it this is a good thing to spend money on mine but if a different country already has one i don't see why we don't just try and help them out instead of spending a ton of money on making a whole new one.
Post a Comment